February 15

Feb. 15. Went to TB and gave them pix of boy scout and Sras trip, that I had downloaded on my thumb drive. I need to have Steve do a picture of Nak and me and bring it to her.. Initiated Rattana to set up visit to Sras on March 9-10, as March 8 is Women’s Independence Holiday. It seems that the number of three day weekends rivals that of the USA. Nuong, my unsuccessful house broker who also touts herself as a fixer and nature tour guide, broke her lunch meeting with me and rescheduled for later in the day at 5:30 pm. So I did some errands. I needed to extend my visa as I was not able to get a business visa at the airport and ended up with a 20 day visa which expired on February 17th. Guess that means I have been in Cambodia for a month without Lauren, as I re-entered the day Lauren left for home on the 17th of January. I will be fined $5 a day upon leaving the Country if I do not extend. The strange part of it is to get an extension, other than paying the fee of $45, I needed to surrender my passport so it could be sent to Phnom Penh for processing which takes a week when the 3 day holiday for the Chinese New Year is accounted for. I am trusting this process !!! I have a copy of it so that when I travel to Battambang I can use the copy when checking into the hotel, which always wants to copy it. You go to a travel agent to do the extension, so while I was there I bought all of the tickets that Lyman and I need to return to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh after a week of filming there and the tickets for all three of us to leave on March 19th, with Lyman catching his flight home from Phnom Penh and us from Bangkok. I met Nuong for a beer and to hire her as a fixer to arrange for us to be able to film a traditional dance ( Aspara dance)., a shadow puppet performance and a trip to Phnom Kulan ( Mount Kulan) where there is a waterfall and a pagoda to arrange for a blessing by Monks to be filmed at the waterfall. We shall go the waterfall on Saturday and I need to figure out if we should try and film it now with Steve and save a day from our shooting schedule with L and L. I had dinner at home and ate a home made dish of pasta and Bolognese sauce that I had cooked earlier in the day. This is the first real dinner I had made for myself and I froze most of it for another night.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Catching up: Impossible but will try: January 7

We have not had internet for several days. Such is the way in Cambodia, and you learn quickly to find something else to do. I will start with January 7, which is Thursday. We began the day at Angkor Wat as planned to see the Churning of the Sea, which we were able to photograph a small portion of. The reproductions were almost as good, so I felt satisfied. We had a wonderful guide with us, and we had told him that we were interested in anything having to do with water. After Angkor Wat we traveled to both the East and West Baray, which is a reservoir built in 11th century to hold water. The East Baray used to be contained by tall, earthen dikes, but it is not functioning anymore. The West Baray is still functioning and provides water all year round but to a limited community. It has a beautiful dike and has now become a destination for Cambodians to get away from the heat on the week-ends. Of course, the rebuilding of the West Baray is a great accomplishment, and it is evident when you look out on this vast body of water. National Geographic just published an article suggesting that the end of the Angkor civilization had to do with the drying up of the reservoirs. The irony today is that Cambodia has more water during the rainy season than they can manage, and none in the dry season. The answer is not simply more wells or even access, but safe water after the access becomes available. Safe water is filtered water whether it is from wells or rain. On the way back to town we stopped at an organic farm, one of three in Siem Reap that is pumping water out of the Baray. There are plantations all around and everything is green; however, this is not a very large area. Organic farming is new and quickly catching on mostly with restaurants and those with money. The evening was once again another opportunity to learn more about Trailblazers from Chris and Scott Coats. Paul has committed himself to work with them cleaning sand and working on biosand filters after I leave. Chris and Scott are remarkable not only in their committment to Cambodia but their passion and belief in empowering the people they have been assisting. Their dream is that someday they will be out of business. We all watched a few fireworks from the sidewalk, marking the celebration of the liberation of Cambodia from the Khmer Rouge by the Vietnamese. Looking back, the displacement and chaos continued until 1993 when Cambodia became independent. Once again, we felt a solid bond with our new friends and warmly toasted our friendship. I promise to catch up tomorrow. Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment