February 15

Feb. 15. Went to TB and gave them pix of boy scout and Sras trip, that I had downloaded on my thumb drive. I need to have Steve do a picture of Nak and me and bring it to her.. Initiated Rattana to set up visit to Sras on March 9-10, as March 8 is Women’s Independence Holiday. It seems that the number of three day weekends rivals that of the USA. Nuong, my unsuccessful house broker who also touts herself as a fixer and nature tour guide, broke her lunch meeting with me and rescheduled for later in the day at 5:30 pm. So I did some errands. I needed to extend my visa as I was not able to get a business visa at the airport and ended up with a 20 day visa which expired on February 17th. Guess that means I have been in Cambodia for a month without Lauren, as I re-entered the day Lauren left for home on the 17th of January. I will be fined $5 a day upon leaving the Country if I do not extend. The strange part of it is to get an extension, other than paying the fee of $45, I needed to surrender my passport so it could be sent to Phnom Penh for processing which takes a week when the 3 day holiday for the Chinese New Year is accounted for. I am trusting this process !!! I have a copy of it so that when I travel to Battambang I can use the copy when checking into the hotel, which always wants to copy it. You go to a travel agent to do the extension, so while I was there I bought all of the tickets that Lyman and I need to return to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh after a week of filming there and the tickets for all three of us to leave on March 19th, with Lyman catching his flight home from Phnom Penh and us from Bangkok. I met Nuong for a beer and to hire her as a fixer to arrange for us to be able to film a traditional dance ( Aspara dance)., a shadow puppet performance and a trip to Phnom Kulan ( Mount Kulan) where there is a waterfall and a pagoda to arrange for a blessing by Monks to be filmed at the waterfall. We shall go the waterfall on Saturday and I need to figure out if we should try and film it now with Steve and save a day from our shooting schedule with L and L. I had dinner at home and ate a home made dish of pasta and Bolognese sauce that I had cooked earlier in the day. This is the first real dinner I had made for myself and I froze most of it for another night.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 9, 2010, A day on Tonle Sop

We met Mieko and Jon Morgan in town at 7 am and drove 1.5 hours up to Tonle Sap which is the largest lake in SE Asia. There were 7 of us: Jon, Mieko, Rikki (their 7 yr old daughter), Beth and Kevin, scientist from Mass, and us. Jon is the former head of Angkor Children's Hospital and is now head of his NGO: The Lake Clinic. Jon's program, TLC, provides free health care to 7 communities living in floating villages 2.5 hours on the Tonle Sap. Our mission today was to participate in the testing of bio-sand filters in one village, and to see if the villagers are following the guidelines in maintaining their water filters. Mieko, Jon's wife runs one of the largest labs in Siem Reap that tests water for ecoli and other bacteria born diseases. The boat was two story, kitchen, bath, with five staff that are on the lake 3 days one week and 4 days the following week. We had so much time to talk about life in Cambodia for expats, NGOs, water, film, making a difference, Cambodian culture, friendships, and after a great deal of beer and wine, our personal stories came out. I have been very blown away by the Canon 5D in its quality and reliability. I have shot alot of video and am learning more about what it means to shoot video. I did a long interview with Jon about his experience in Cambodia and wish I could share some of that on this blog, but because of the slow connection, it seems impossible. When we arrived in the village, we tied up to the chief's boat and there were warm welcomes all around. They were in the midst of repairing fish and there was a community of about 10-12 people. They knew Jon and crew very well, and the chief's boat is used as the clinic when the boat arrives each week. Mieko set up her water testing equipment, while Paul and I interacted with the extended family. This village moves 8 times during the year depending on the rise and fall of the Tonle Sap. The change in water levels is very dramatic, and now they are half way through the dry season. By March, they will have to go out even further to still stay afloat. This makes travel to them impossible for 4 months of the year. The day on the water was magical as we tried to imagine life here. We returned back to the mainland in the late, afternoon light with no one around. It seemed as if we were floating off to the horizon and would just disappear forever, but it was so peaceful and warm. Driving back through the villages in the early twilight, we watched children playing in the last light of the day. We all felt very connected to Cambodia, our friends, and the landscape. By 9 pm, Jon, Mieko, Rikki, Paul, and I found ourselves in a restaurant near Angkor Wat owned by a 60 year old Matthew who has been living in Cambodia since the late 80s. The food, music, and wine were all very French, and we even had extraordinary warm baguettes. For a moment we thought we had been swepted away to a fantasy place far away from Cambodia listening to Edith Pilaf. The best part was being with Jon and Mieko and understanding their life in Cambodia. Our day once again felt full and real and seemed to move us closer to our purpose of putting together our story. Paul has been great in reminding me to just take everyday in, and not to worry about having it "all together." We drove home under the cool evening breeze in an open tutut. Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment