February 15

Feb. 15. Went to TB and gave them pix of boy scout and Sras trip, that I had downloaded on my thumb drive. I need to have Steve do a picture of Nak and me and bring it to her.. Initiated Rattana to set up visit to Sras on March 9-10, as March 8 is Women’s Independence Holiday. It seems that the number of three day weekends rivals that of the USA. Nuong, my unsuccessful house broker who also touts herself as a fixer and nature tour guide, broke her lunch meeting with me and rescheduled for later in the day at 5:30 pm. So I did some errands. I needed to extend my visa as I was not able to get a business visa at the airport and ended up with a 20 day visa which expired on February 17th. Guess that means I have been in Cambodia for a month without Lauren, as I re-entered the day Lauren left for home on the 17th of January. I will be fined $5 a day upon leaving the Country if I do not extend. The strange part of it is to get an extension, other than paying the fee of $45, I needed to surrender my passport so it could be sent to Phnom Penh for processing which takes a week when the 3 day holiday for the Chinese New Year is accounted for. I am trusting this process !!! I have a copy of it so that when I travel to Battambang I can use the copy when checking into the hotel, which always wants to copy it. You go to a travel agent to do the extension, so while I was there I bought all of the tickets that Lyman and I need to return to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh after a week of filming there and the tickets for all three of us to leave on March 19th, with Lyman catching his flight home from Phnom Penh and us from Bangkok. I met Nuong for a beer and to hire her as a fixer to arrange for us to be able to film a traditional dance ( Aspara dance)., a shadow puppet performance and a trip to Phnom Kulan ( Mount Kulan) where there is a waterfall and a pagoda to arrange for a blessing by Monks to be filmed at the waterfall. We shall go the waterfall on Saturday and I need to figure out if we should try and film it now with Steve and save a day from our shooting schedule with L and L. I had dinner at home and ate a home made dish of pasta and Bolognese sauce that I had cooked earlier in the day. This is the first real dinner I had made for myself and I froze most of it for another night.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 9

I am caught up!!

Today did a lot of paper work and blog work. I had a meeting on my own personal project which is to work with Sam who is the original guide by whom most of our own personal wells that we gave were built. He has done over 400 wells and he estimates that there are another 400 or more that his guide friends have done; however, as wonderful as this is to provide water for his people none of these wells have been tested and none of the water is being filtered. So it has been a patient and deliberate process over time to get Sam comfortable with the idea of testing and filtering his wells. Today we had a meeting with the principals of Trailblazers where I have been volunteering together with their Khmer director Rattana to acquaint Sam with their program of selling - giving thru donations biosand filters. It was suggested by Chris Coats that there be a partnership with Sam. There was a lot of discussion in Khmer between Sam and Rattana and I do think that Sam is interested in the program. I have learned to read Sam and he does not show much emotion or enthusiasm. So I am cautiously optimistic and does take a different dimension of my deal making skills to understand his customs and practices and not to be a western know it all. After all it is his country and I have seen that so much of the country is without a potable water supply and that a well even without testing or any filtration is a vast improvement over a hole in the ground.
This afternoon Steve Curtis, who did some video work for us in the Village where we are now building more wells, came over and we downloaded his video work on my computer and hopefully some of it will be useful.
I was going to bike over and work out in the pool but decided to take it easy and watch the sunset and read on the roof deck. Also took a quick dip in the pool there, which is quite small but certainly a huge luxury. I am reading an amazing book called The Gate by Francois Bizot, who was inside the French Embassy in 1975 and previously had been held and released by the KR and Douche or Duc who later became the executioner at S21 in Phnom Penh. He ( Duc) is currently being tried and the trial has gone on for more than a year at a cost of over $70 million dollars and is a total stupid charade.
Having dinner at an Italian restaurant with an American friend Bryse Gaboury who is here with Engineers Without Borders and worked on the reconstruction of a reservoir that we shall have in our film. Bryse was introduced to me by my brother's friend Mike Shuller, whom Lauren and I met here 3 years ago. So I am caught up.. and took no pics today so I will find something intriguing to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment