February 15

Feb. 15. Went to TB and gave them pix of boy scout and Sras trip, that I had downloaded on my thumb drive. I need to have Steve do a picture of Nak and me and bring it to her.. Initiated Rattana to set up visit to Sras on March 9-10, as March 8 is Women’s Independence Holiday. It seems that the number of three day weekends rivals that of the USA. Nuong, my unsuccessful house broker who also touts herself as a fixer and nature tour guide, broke her lunch meeting with me and rescheduled for later in the day at 5:30 pm. So I did some errands. I needed to extend my visa as I was not able to get a business visa at the airport and ended up with a 20 day visa which expired on February 17th. Guess that means I have been in Cambodia for a month without Lauren, as I re-entered the day Lauren left for home on the 17th of January. I will be fined $5 a day upon leaving the Country if I do not extend. The strange part of it is to get an extension, other than paying the fee of $45, I needed to surrender my passport so it could be sent to Phnom Penh for processing which takes a week when the 3 day holiday for the Chinese New Year is accounted for. I am trusting this process !!! I have a copy of it so that when I travel to Battambang I can use the copy when checking into the hotel, which always wants to copy it. You go to a travel agent to do the extension, so while I was there I bought all of the tickets that Lyman and I need to return to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh after a week of filming there and the tickets for all three of us to leave on March 19th, with Lyman catching his flight home from Phnom Penh and us from Bangkok. I met Nuong for a beer and to hire her as a fixer to arrange for us to be able to film a traditional dance ( Aspara dance)., a shadow puppet performance and a trip to Phnom Kulan ( Mount Kulan) where there is a waterfall and a pagoda to arrange for a blessing by Monks to be filmed at the waterfall. We shall go the waterfall on Saturday and I need to figure out if we should try and film it now with Steve and save a day from our shooting schedule with L and L. I had dinner at home and ate a home made dish of pasta and Bolognese sauce that I had cooked earlier in the day. This is the first real dinner I had made for myself and I froze most of it for another night.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

February16




I spoke with Tobias Rose Stockwell in California, who is a 29 year old dynamic humanitarian who came to Cambodia as a 22 year old. He had previously been a volunteer working in Thailand and then came to Cambodia and met Chai as a tut tut driver. Tobias has founded an NGO called Human Translation whose major accomplishment is to be reconstruct a reservoir and is now in the process of rebuilding the canal system. Chai is a Khmer who will be one of our major characters and Tobias and I spoke of how to present Chai’s story to the screen in an engaging way. Chai was a boy soldier for the Khmer Rouge and his memories are very painful and hard to get him to verbalize. The conclusion I got was that a visit to Chai’s village or the lingo here is a visit to the “homeland” , aside from the vital visual beauty and interest, would be the optimum way of extracting his story.

This conversation was all in preparation for my scheduled day with Chai to visit the canal project. Chai picked me up in the four wheel drive Toyota work horse truck and we then want to his fiancee’s house to pick up supplies for the canal workers, that consisted of about 40 shovels. However, these shovels, made in china by the way, come with no handles as the workers fashion them from wood from the forest.

Chai is getting married in April after a very difficult 7 year courtship. This is a modern love relationship in which Chai is marrying well up in class from his humble homeland beginnings near the Thai border. Apparently the first three years of dating was kept a secret from her parents and Chai had to earn the right to marry into the family. A significant dowry is customary to be given by the groom to the bride’s family to help pay for the elaborate 2-3 day wedding which is the Cambodian style. I met the financee and took pictures of her family’s home.

We went to the canal, where there was 280 local villagers from the community that the canal will ultimately serve, digging the canal by hand It will take about four months to do and should be open to coincide with the beginning of rainy season that begins in July. By using these workers it makes the community a vital part of the project and vests their interest in the success. Chai is the engineer of the project and now is a principal in a local NGO ( Community Translations) that is in partnership with Human Translations in a model of an international NGO ( HT) working with an indigenously registered NGO ( CT) to provide sustainability and empowerment to Kkmers and in this case by not using an outside contractor with heavy earth moving machinery, providing employment to the community as well as a psychological bonding to the project. Taking pictures of the scenery ,the hand digging the canal with the colorful people and the exotically beautiful dry country side was such a joy. I walked down the canal and photographed the people after stopping for a while for them to comfortable with me and my greeting them and conversing in my very very limted Khmer language. I know Lauren would have been in heaven with such an opportunity and I tried to do it some justice photographically, as Canon G10 is becoming much more friendly to me.

I had lunch with some of the workers and Chai. It was rice veggies and pork and I avoided the hot chili used by most to spice the bland food into a level of spiciness that I can not tolerate. The last time I ate some of the chili spice I ended up with a bad case of the hiccups!!

Got dropped back at my apartment at 2 and then had the wonderful luxury of a hour of AC and a hot shower to rid myself of the ingrained red dust from my half day in the field. My driver picked me up at 3 or so for the trip to Battambang. But before heading to Highway 6, I went to a video store to get some copies made of our Drop in the Bucket film so I can give a few away; and dropped a Diesel Bag that Lauren had bought for $5 in Phnom Penh market to have the zipper replaced, as it broke the first time I tried to use it.

Checked into a nice hotel for $30 a night and then met Kathy and Joanna at the Riverside Bar and CafĂ© for drinks and dinner to brief me on the next day interviews at the Circus school. Kathy is an American volunteer and Joanna is from the UK, a PHd candidate, doing a thesis on the “ Cambodia Open Face” as seen in the Bayan smiling faces at Ankor Thom and the black and white photos at S 21, of the victims killed in this Khmer Rouge prison, run by the infamours Douch now on trial.

The circus school could be a film in itself. An idea may be to come back in December and do a documentary on the Circus Festival which is to be a gathering of circus people from ten countries and performances of their circuses.

We shared experiences and impressions and Kathy told me about her trip to Mondulkiri. I decided if at all possible I should try and squeeze the time to do that in between meeting and prepping our two characters Boomer and Hengly in Phnom Penh and Lyman’s arrival on March 1 to start filming. The other thought had been to head to the beach at Kep or Kampot but I can go to the beach in so many places to the world but being in the mountains with ethic tribes who believe in animism in Northeast Cambodian jungle with elephants and waterfalls and catching trout in the stream by clubbing them , is a unique experience that I need to find a way to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment